Java programmers speak in hushed whispers about some mythical conference in the Mediterranean. Is it real? Is it truly the best Java conference in the world, as claimed here, here and here? Who gets in?
JCrete® 2017 is our seventh unconference in Chania, our “sabbatical”. Because of this, we are doing things differently. Up to now, you could only attend JCrete® by personal invite. And we limited attendance to 70 lucky souls.
70 is a good upper limit for an unconference like ours. With 70, you can know everyone’s name. Group excursions and dinners are easier. Aristotle-like discussions under the shady trees down at the beach are small enough to not scare the villagers.
- We are increasing our upper limit, for only one year.
- Instead of invitation-only, all that pass our basic criteria can come.
- Seats will be allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
It will be crrrrazy. Chaotic. Dangerous. Fun. Greece will pass new geek-containment laws.
Here is how you can qualify:
- Java Champion? – you’re in
- Author of Java book with at least 5000 copies sold? – you’re in
- Speaker at five major Java conferences? – you’re in
- Java programmer with at least 6 years industry experience? – you’re in
- Personal invite by a conference “disorganizer”? – you’re in
- Anyone else – put your name down and if we have space we might do a raffle.
Don’t snooze. First-come-first-served.
JCrete® officially kicks off on Sunday the 16th of July 2017 at 8pm at the Orthodox Academy of Crete and ends on Friday the 21st of July after lunch. JCrete4Kids is on the 22nd and 23rd of July in Chania and Heraklion.
JCrete® is completely funded by its attendees. We each pay the Orthodox Academy of Crete for using their facilities, lunch and two dinners. If you’d like a t-shirt or towel with our logo on it, you pay for it. If you’d like to stay in a 5-star hotel, you pay for it. Dinner, excursion, rental car? Yep, you pay for it. Your flights to Crete and airport transfer? Good guess, it’s yours. We all pay, even the disorganizers. We deliberately do not have any corporate sponsors.
We also pass around hats to collect money for local schools to support their IT infrastructure. Thank You Letter From Kolymvari Junior High School
And we organize events for the children of Crete in both Chania and Heraklion.
We are doing it for the love of it. You will feel this passion the moment you set foot in the academy. It will inspire you and you will have a fantastic experience that is unparalleled in the Java world.
Ready to Apply?
If the form does not display here, you can also head over to our hosted application form.